The 2015 11th Annual Vendy Awards will be held on Saturday September 12th, from 12:30pm - 5:00pm at Governors Island!
"The Oscars of street food for real New Yorkers" - Mario Batali
The Vendy Awards is an intense cook-off between the most popular sidewalks chefs in the city and a fundraiser to support The Street Vendor Project.
Finalists are selected from public nominations and compete in 5 different categories: Vendy Cup/People's Choice, Rookie of the Year, Best of Market, A Special 2015 Category, and Best Dessert. These vendors bring their best dishes to the event and ticket holders sample delicious offerings from each vendor before voting for their favorites!
BUY YOUR TICKET TODAY:
General Admission ticket to the Vendy Awards includes:
- Copious amount of food, from 25+ vendors
- All you can drink from our bar which includes Brooklyn Brewery beers, Santa Cristina wines, Grown Up Sodas, and more!
- Live entertainment
- A vote to determine this year's winners!
- Bonus: Your ticket is also a tax deductible donation!
VIP (Early Entry) ticket to the Vendy Awards includes:
- Everything listed in General Admission PLUS
- One hour additional early entry for shorter lines and a chance to talk to the vendors
- Access to additional seating under the covered VIP tent
- Unlimited access to a VIP liquor bar
- A Thank You Vendy tote filled with goodies!
Better buy your ticket today, as we sell out of tickets every year. Or, you can try your luck at a free ticket through our #VendyCitizenJudge competition, going on now!
MEET THE 2015 finalists
Get ready for 25 finalists to compete in 5 different categories at the 2015 Vendys! A ticket to the Vendys includes food from all of them, and a vote to pick the winners! On Sept 12th, food will be presented in the following categories:
- Vendy Cup / People's Choice - the grand prize!
- Rookie of the Year - The best of 2015 new food carts and trucks
- Best of Market - The best from all the delicious markets around the city
- Best of Dessert - The best sweet tastes from NYC's street vendors
- 2015 Mystery Category - a surprise category just for this year celebrating something we've never celebrated before!
Below are the 15 finalists for Rookie, Market and Dessert categories. Check back soon for the finalists in our Vendy Cup and Mystery Category!
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
BEST OF MARKET
BEST OF DESSERT
Click on the year below to show past winners!
Think you would be the best judge of street food at the 2015 NYC Vendys? Want to join the elite panel of taste buds that will pick the best Street Food Vendor of 2015? Now's your chance!
BE THE SQUARESPACE #VENDYCITIZENJUDGE
Enter our #VendyCitizenJudge contest for a chance to become the 2015 Citizen Judge and determine NYC's top street food winner at the 11th Annual Vendy Awards on Sept 12th, 2015!
Weekly runner-up winners will receive tickets to the Vendy Awards, chosen by the incredible team at Gothamist. And if you need even more New York food in your life, check out their gorgeous new all-food newsletter, Weekly Digest. Subscribe and get the freshest restaurant news and local Best-Ofs right in your inbox!
The cherry on top? Our Citizen Judge will receive a free 1-year Squarespace subscription to kickstart his or her own website. With Squarespace, making a gorgeous website is incredibly simple. In fact, this Vendy Awards website was built with Squarespace. Check out #BuildItBeautiful for more inspiration on how you can create a breathtaking personal website.
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Between 7/3/15 - 7/24/15, submit a photo of your favorite street food tagged with #VendyCitizenJudge on Instagram or Twitter. There are no limit to submissions – submit away!
2. Submissions must feature NYC street food from trucks, carts or outdoor markets. Bonus kudos given to photos that include iconic NYC scenery and/or taken at Vendy Plaza!
3. For 3 weeks, Gothamist will be picking FOUR weekly runner-ups to receive a pair of tickets to the Vendy Awards. That’s 24 tickets we're giving away! Sign up for Gothamist Weekly Digest and follow @VendyAwards, @Squarespace, or @Gothamist to see the winners each week (winners will be posted on 7/10, 7/17 and 7/24).
4. At the end of the competition, we will pick a final winner who also will receive a seat on the judging panel among this year's celebrity judges! The final winner will be announced by 8/3 online at @VendyAwards, @Squarespace, and @Gothamist.
The fine print: Submissions will be accepted on Instagram and Twitter. Only submissions from public profiles will be entered (we can’t see your submission if you have a private profile). Runner-up winners will receive General Admission Tickets (one pair for each winner; total value $200) and tickets will be issued at the end of the competition via Eventbrite (to be sent by August 10, 2015). If you believe you are a runner-up winner, and have not received a communication by this date, please contact Vendy Awards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By entering the competition, entrants agree to release, waive and hold harmless Squarespace, its affiliates and subsidiaries, and each of their officers, directors, employees and agents from any and all injuries, claims, damages, losses, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney’s fees) resulting from the entrants participation in the competition, their acceptance, use, or misuse of any prize or element thereof, and any travel or event related activity in connection with the competition.
The 2015 event will be on Saturday, September 12th, 2015 from 12:30pm to 5:00pm at Governors Island. Governors Island is only accessible via ferry.
Getting to Governors Island
Ferries run from Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge Park's Pier 6. Weekend afternoon ferries from Brooklyn and Manhattan are $2 round trip for adults. Morning ferries (10 AM and 11 AM) on Saturdays and Sundays are free for all. Children under 12 ride for free at all times and senior citizens' fares are half price. There is no surcharge for bicycles.
Visitors will be able to purchase ferry tickets at the Battery Maritime Building in Lower Manhattan or at Pier 6 in Brooklyn. Tickets will also be available for purchase online in advance. A full ferry schedule is available here.
Directions to the Governors Island Manhattan Ferry
The Governors Island ferry departs from the Battery Maritime Building located at 10 South Street, adjacent to the Staten Island Ferry in Lower Manhattan. The ferry terminal is accessible via:
- Subway: 1 to South Ferry station / 4, 5 to Bowling Green station / R to Whitehall St. station
- Bus: M6, M9, and M15
Directions to the Governors Island Brooklyn Ferry
The Governors Island Brooklyn ferry departs from Pier 6 in Brooklyn Bridge Park, at the foot of Atlantic Avenue. The ferry terminal is accessible via:
- Subway: R to Court Street / 4,5,2,3 to Borough Hall
- Bus: B63
OTHER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT HAPPENS AT THE AWARDS?
Finalists arrive with their carts/trucks and prepare their best eats for Vendy attendees and judges. Brooklyn Brewery Beer, Santa Cristina wine, and non-alcoholic beverages will be plentiful, with tables and chairs for the food-weary. There will be live music, performances, and a raffle, culminating in a short ceremony naming the award winners!
Please wear comfortable shoes. Each year we work to shorten the lines, but standing in line is part of the Vendy – and street food – experience. We can’t say if any marriages have come out of people waiting in line together, but we do know that many friendships have been born as people wait for their chance to sample the finalists’ food.
WHICH AWARDS WILL BE GIVEN OUT THIS YEAR?
One finalist will be awarded the Vendy Cup and title of Vendy Award winner. Additional awards will be given to the People’s Choice Award winner, the Dessert Category winner, Rookie Vendor of the Year, Market Vendor Award & a special surprise category.
HOW ARE THE FINALISTS SELECTED?
We take public nominations until mid-June to determine the lucky vendors that are invited to compete against each other for street food glory.
HOW IS THE WINNER SELECTED?
At the event, we’ll have a team of distinguished judges score the finalists and decide who get the coveted "Vendy Cup". Attendees choose our People’s Choice Award winner, as well as winners in the other categories.
CAN I BUY MY TICKET AT THE DOOR?
We are expected to sell out before the event (we have for at least 5 years!). Tickets will not be available at the door.
IS THE EVENT RAIN OR SHINE?
Street vendors are outdoors all year long working in all sorts of weather - to respect their time, this event will be held rain or shine!
ARE KIDS WELCOME? DO THEY NEED A TICKET?
We love kids and kids love street food. Children 8 and under don’t need a ticket. Otherwise, they do.
I'M A MEMBER OF THE PRESS. HOW DO I GET A PRESS PASS OR ARRANGE TO INTERVIEW THE ORGANIZERS OR INDIVIDUAL VENDORS?
If you would like to request a press pass for the 2015 event, please fill out the Press Pass Request Form.
MY COMPANY WOULD LIKE TO SPONSOR THE VENDY AWARDS. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Drop us a line at email@example.com or give us a call at (202) 213.2250. Last year's event brought out almost 2,000 food-savvy guests and attracted wide media attention. We’re pretty sure this year will be even bigger.
CAN I SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER AT THE VENDY AWARDS?
We will be posting sign ups for volunteers by mid-August. In the meantime, if you would like to volunteer at Vendy Plaza, please sign up here!